Who is at risk of getting jock itch?
As the name suggests, jock itch is common in athletes who sweat a lot and wear tight, wet clothes for long periods of time. It mostly affects men and adolescent boys because moisture can get trapped between the scrotum and thighs. Additionally, if you are overweight you are more likely to experience jock itch because the fungus can thrive in folds of skin, which are prone to sweating. However, jock itch can affect anyone because it is highly contagious.
The following can also increase the chance of you getting a jock itch infection:
- Wearing clothes that are tight and irritate your skin
- Having moisture in your groin area from sweating
- Leaving on a wet bathing suit for a long time
- Sharing damp towels or sweaty clothing
- Being in close contact with someone infected